Sunday, November 24, 2019

Blue, Green, and Aqua Impressionistic Hand-painted Silk Scarf

     This impressionistic blue blend scarf is a new favorite--in fact, one I plan to keep for myself. It is especially pleasing that it is a rescue of a scarf that went wrong (see earlier post about that mistake). The white and misty aqua background that was left after I removed the messed-up gutta seemed perfect to re-do in a scarf with a blue, green, and aqua swirling print.
Close-up of one end

Close-up of other end

     After choosing the palette and blending the colors I had tested and wanted to use, I wet the entire scarf well. Then, with a soft brush, I swirled the colors on in a sort of "planned random" way with a bit of unpainted area between many of the swirls so that the hues would flow together without too much mixing. I didn't want the colors to muddy each other or to blend too much. Once that looked satisfactory, I deepened some blue areas and quickly sprinkled kosher salt over while the areas were still quite wet. Using salt on wet French silk dyes works a kind of magic as the scarf dries, producing jagged lines, star burst effects, and concentrated darker spots. Sometimes, I do further modification of the colors or pattern after I see how the scarf looks dry. It would have been a mistake to tamper with these results; in my opinion, it is lovely just as it is. Now it's getting hard to wait to wear it; five newly hand-painted silk scarves are ready to be steam-set. One more, and I can load up the steamer and complete the finishing processes.
Close-up of center
By the way, I will have one or two more posts about our trip to the Grand Tetons and Yellowstone, but took a break to show you this newly painted scarf.

Question of the Day: Do you prefer defined patterns on silk, such as tulips or starfish, or a more abstract or impressionistic look?

9 comments:

  1. I have been visiting your blog waiting for another informative post - and here you are!! This scarf is simply beautiful. As we say in crafting - never a mistake, just an opportunity! I certainly don't blame you for keeping it for yourself. I thought that was pretty interesting about the kosher salt. My Mom always liked her scarves with definite patterns, especially flowers. I on the other hand like a more impressionistic look. It was so nice reading your post. I hope you and your family have a wonderful Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nanny, thank you, and I hope you and your family also have a delightful Thanksgiving. I truly appreciate your interest and the care you put into your comments; it always feels like we are enjoying a conversation. I like various types of scarf designs and have fun trying different approaches and techniques.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is beautiful. I like the flowing colors, blue is a favorite of mine. Thanks for explaining your technique. Love the “happy accidents”.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Super to hear from you, Jo! My favorite blues lean more toward aqua, but a scarf with various blues is wearable with a number of outfits. I hope you and yours have a great Thanksgiving.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just wanted to stop by and say hi and hope that you and your family had a wonderful holiday! My friends in Florida are reminding us that we are expecting 4-8" of snow starting tomorrow. UGH!! Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you, Nanny! We did have a wonderful, thankful time together as a family. I hope you did also.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Just stopping by to wish you and yours a very Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You are amazingly thoughtful, Nanny! Thank you and a rich and meaningful season to you and yours, also.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete