Wednesday, April 27, 2011

New Painting--Lyons Club Park Boardwalk on the St. Johns River

Join me on a spring walk in Lyons Club Park along the St. Johns River in Jacksonville, Florida. This new painting is nearly finished, but rather than waiting to post it, I decided to show it to you today. The revisions I still plan to make are so minor that the differences are unlikely to be noticeable in a blog photo. The piece is a 16" X 20" acrylic painting on gallery wrapped canvas, so can be hung without a frame. The scene wraps around the painted edges.
Today, I am showing you the painting and one of the reference photos I used. Next post, I will include some close-up photos of details in the painting and more information about the painting process.
You can see that I departed from the reference photo in terms of the viewpoint, the palette (colors), and some other details. The painting's viewpoint is a bit further away at a higher point along the walk by the marshy river bank.
Among the Jacksonville area's many lovely parks and preserves, Lyons Club Park is a well-kept jewel. Birds sing along wooded trails, and fish and other water creatures are abundant. We saw a number of people fishing along the bank while others paddled up to shore in canoes and kayaks. The water currents are varied and interesting as the St. Johns River runs straight north (unusual in the Northern Hemisphere) just before it turns east to flow to the ocean. We are on the east bank of the river looking north. The Trout River flows in from the west (out of sight from this view), and both rivers rise and fall with the ocean tides. So, the water is almost always in motion--sometimes lazy and sometimes powerfully choppy. Ripples and waves can run in nearly any direction, changing throughout the day, and sometimes swirling in eddies caused by the confluence of outgoing rivers meeting an incoming tide. It's a perfect place for a refreshing and renewing walk.
Question of the Day: Does your area treasure and preserve its natural habitats and beauty?

12 comments:

  1. Such a beautiful painting, Mary....love the perspective, reflections and color. Yes, here in Maine we are surely into preservation. We have wildlife habitats, walking trails, etc. at every turn. In fact, right across the road from me is an area designated as a wildlife preserve that leads down to a lake. We have the Ordway Grove at the bottom of my road that is about 1.5 miles of walking trails which boast beautiful flora at different times of the year. A secret treasure of mine. I do love living in Maine with so much to appreciate and do every season of the year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is beautiful! You have a wonderful talent and I enjoy seeing what you post.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you, Carol--I appreciate your response to the painting, given your own amazing artwork. It's fun to hear about your lovely area of Maine and encouraging that preservation is a priority there, too (as I would have guessed that it would be :>).

    You are very kind, Anne. I am grateful for your visits and comments. You are so creative that I am especially glad for your feedback. Plus, you are probably familiar with these local scenes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Egad!! The perspective alone is awesome... Both atmospheric and otherwise!! Well done!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lyons Club Park sounds (based on your descriptions) like a piece of heaven. i liked how you altered some details, you made it even more interesting and stunning. ;)
    yes, i am glad and thankful Singapore treasure and preserve its natural habitats and beauty. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice! Great observations. Your word picture was as good as the real picture.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think the viewpoint you chose is magnificent, Mary! This is truly a beautiful painting and I just wish I could paint like this! My state does indeed preserve the natural habitats and I love them!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You are very kind, Marian, and I value the observations of your expert artistic eye. I am glad that the perspective works for you; that always requires careful planning and effort (not to mention reworking :>).

    Cher, your stunning photos always show how gorgeous and well-cared-for the natural beauty of Singapore is. I appreciate hearing that the changes I have made to the original scene work for you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks, GQ--glad you (as a wordsmith and storyteller) liked the description.

    Good to hear from you, Sherry, and I appreciate your kind words. No need for you to paint like this because you paint wonderfully expressive works in your own style :>)! It's great to hear from people in all different places that nature preservation is also a priority where y'all are.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your painting is great! It seems just like the one in the photo only more beautiful! Thanks for sharing this!...Daniel

    ReplyDelete
  11. Mary - so well done- everything is in perfect harmony. Beautiful

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you for your visit and your generous compliments, Daniel.

    Hey, Robin, so good to hear that you feel that the painting reflects the harmony I was trying to achieve. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete