Sunday, June 30, 2019

How to Create Depth in Landscape Paintings, Part III--Perspective in Skies

"Clouds Moving In", 14" x 11" acrylic painting
One of my worksheets for "Clouds Moving In"
     For Part III in this little series of posts about perspective, we will consider sky (especially clouds). Obviously, the painting of a large field with various trees both near and far, for example, will demand careful creation of depth in the ways we have discussed in Part I and Part II. But what about the sky in that painting? I do know that skies seldom appear just one monotone hue from the horizon on up and so often shade my painted sky from cobalt, ultramarine, or even slightly purplish blue at the top of the canvas to a slightly more aqua and lighter tone toward the horizon. This suggests distance in the sky.

     But I hadn't considered cloud perspective much until my painting mentor, Linda Blondheim, was providing feedback on a work in progress. She pointed out that clouds usually appear larger when they are closer and are smaller (and often flatter) in appearance toward the horizon. Linda encouraged me to make a grid with a vanishing point at the horizon to refer to as I painted a cloudy sky. Sounds obvious, I guess, but I was not observing the principle consistently in my work.


     I used that tip in the 14" x 11" acrylic piece, "Clouds Moving In", pictured above. I wanted to show clouds building over the Atlantic from the Northeast, as they often do here in coastal north Florida. So, the vanishing point is left of center (north) in the reference grid at the top of my worksheet (pictured above, left).


"Spring Breeze",  24" x 18" acrylic painting 
"Sea Oats", 16" x 12" acrylic painting
     Of course, real clouds are various sizes at various distances, but I have realized that my painted skies are most convincing looking when I follow some logical perspective rules for clouds. The 24" x 18" piece, "Spring Breeze" illustrates the principle as does the 16" x 12" painting, "Sea Oats".

     Rather than more words today, I will simply share some of my photos that include clouds. Some are from my home area, some were taken for painting reference (not necessarily because they are stunning subjects in their own right), and some are from places we have traveled. Of course, you can click on any photo to enlarge it. You can draw your own conclusions about perspective in actual skies and how to create realistic depth in paintings that include clouds.
Jacksonville Beach, FL photo
Hanna Park, Jacksonville, FL photo



John C. Campbell Folk School, NC photo

Nova Scotia, Canada photo
Nova Scotia, Canada photo


Region of Tuscany, Italy photo
 Question of the Day: Have you ever thought about how clouds appear as they recede into the distance?

7 comments:

  1. I so enjoyed your blog on clouds and looking at your beautiful paintings and photos. I think most peope take clouds for granted. I remember my first plane trip going through the clouds and then flying over them. When my granddaughters were younger we used to lay on a blanket and look up at the sky and clouds and decide what each cloud shape looked like. When we traveled out west years ago it was really neat seeing the clouds in the desert so far away and how long it took them to get closer and larger at the same time. Your picture of Nova Scotia reminded me of how beautiful it was looking at the ocean from the shoreline. We so enjoyed that trip. Happy 4th of July!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for your enthusiastic, interesting response, Nanny; you always have great insights! I too have always loved clouds and watched them often as a child (from a perch in my favorite apple tree or wherever I was). We lived in Southern California for a time in adult years, and people used to rave about all the days when "There's not a cloud in the sky!"--which to me, made looking up kind of boring. Our trip to Nova Scotia and Prince Edward Island was amazing, as well--truly beautiful scenes and lovely people and things to see and do.

    This post doesn't mention the importance of clouds in painting composition, but sometimes adding some interest to the sky can make an average painting much more captivating. That's especially true here in Florida where the land is very flat--no hills or mountains to create depth or background interest.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I doubt which one is real or painting...some of them looks the same for me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful painting, Mary. Thanks for the tips. Sometimes like today you write about something I know, but bringing it back to mind helps reinforce it. Which is something I need for the NM trip in a couple of weeks. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Tanza, thank you for your visit and for your compliment. I always appreciate hearing from you.

    Jo, I know you are a master at this kind of technique, but I am thankful that you come over and read my thoughts anyway. You are always supportive. Happy travels!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mary your painting of the clouds moving in is so beautiful. Thank you too for sharing your wonderful tips on perspective. It is more than generous of you to share. Take care friend and have a great day. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Debbie! Just realized that you had visited and commented on this post, and I am grateful. Thank you for your encouragement and, of course, for the hugs :>).

    ReplyDelete