Tuesday, July 30, 2019

Hand-painted Tropical Leaf Silk Scarf with Varied Greens on Blue Background

Tropical Leaf Silk Scarf in Varied Greens on Blue Background
     The idea of painting a design of tropical leaves on a silk scarf has been in the back of my mind for awhile. Recently, I completed this 60" x 11" scarf in blue and varied green hues after a number of sketches finally resulted in a design I liked. I blended several shades and hues of green for the leaves, because I wanted to make the scarf more useful, more likely to look nice with different outfits. The leaf designs were inspired by photos of plants in some of my husband's botanical books and from direct observation of plants in our coastal north Florida neighborhoods.

One end of tropical leaf scarf
     I don't know why I draped the scarf on this old couch for its photos, but have decided it doesn't look too bad there. The final steps to finish the work-- steam-setting the dyes, removing the gutta outlines in a naphtha soak, washing and pressing--are not yet done. However, I thought you might like a look at it anyway.

Other end of tropical leaf scarf
     All the colors, including the blue background, are blends of liquid French silk dyes. I love experimenting with colors and color combinations and am rarely disappointed with the results of the blends I've planned--although it can take some "tinkering" to get the shade where I want it. 

     I painted a very light, watered-down blue on the entire white scarf blank first, then outlined all the leaves and stems with gutta resist (more information on using gutta in the third paragraph of this post). That way, the outlines have some color, rather than just being white. The lighter leaves are a pale green painted over with yellow (which tends to push other colors away and creates a nice variegation in hues). The large philodendron leaf is several layers of olive. The smaller vine leaves are a blend of greens, again layered until the depth of color seemed right. The heart-shaped larger vine leaves are a blend of green and blue. I gave each of the leaves one coat before "drawing" the veins with gutta resist; that way the veins would have more color, rather than just retaining the light blue of the first coat of the background. Last, I finished the final coat or two of the blue background, randomly stroking a true blue over aqua, then blending them for a watery, varied appearance. Now this will join a couple of other scarves in the studio closet until I have enough for a steamer batch to set the dyes.

Question of the Day: What sort of scarf design would you like me to try next?


7 comments:

  1. OMG!! I was so impressed with your gorgeous scraf. I reread your post several times to digest all the info. I then went to goggle to research gutta resist. Very interesting. You did a fantastic job on the planning, drawing and painting. How much time did it take you to complete this project? Since I'm partial to pansies they would look beautiful on a scraf. Thanks for sharing your wonderful project!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nanny, your response is wonderful--rich and truly encouraging! Thank you for your interest and curiosity. With this prompt from you, I may go back and provide a link to one of my posts with more information on gutta. It is very difficult to answer the question of how long these projects take; I worked a number of different days for about an hour at a time (due to some back trouble that limits my sessions bending over the stretcher frame). My guess would be around 20 - 25 hours so far, maybe more, and the completion steps still need to be done. I am grateful you gave me a design suggestion; pansies would be a challenge with this technique, but it will be fun to give it some thought. You may see it sometime. All my best to you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I thought I commented on this. Hmmm.
    I really like the colors and design. Interested to see how it looks when the resist comes off. Very involved technique. You have the patience and skill to make it work.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you, Jo, for your affirmation of my work (aka, "play"). Yes, I'm also interested to see how this one looks after resist removal. If steaming were a simpler process, I would be tempted to run all the finishing steps every scarf or two. That would be very impractical, but it takes me a long time to have 4 - 6 scarves ready for a steamer batch.

    ReplyDelete
  5. lovely design.....
    I guess whatever designs you make are perfect and fantastic....

    Have a wonderful weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for your kind words, Tanza. It's always great to hear from you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete