Monday, January 21, 2019

In-home Holiday Pop-up Shop For Art and More

My display at the Holiday Pop-up Shop at a neighbor's home
     In early November, I participated in a Holiday Pop-up Shop at a neighbor's home. I offered landscape and seascape paintings and hand-painted silk scarves for sale. The event was my neighbor, Cheryl's, idea, and she had invited me some weeks before to join her and other sellers she knew for the one day event in her home. Although the price point of my paintings made selling them in that setting unlikely, I thought it would be a way to connect with some new people. Since my scarves are in the $60 - $70 range, I thought a sale was possible, but was quite ready to make the effort and to enjoy the experience--sales or no sales.

     Your response to previous posts about Open Studio Receptions I have held at our home (those posts are perennial favorites for visits) means I expect many readers to be interested in the planning, process, and set-up of the Pop-up Shop. Cheryl, our host, who has begun creating lovely watercolor/calligraphy greeting cards and other items recently, said that remembering those receptions at our house was one of the sparks for her pop-up shop idea. 

     With all the information I could cover, I'll write more than one post about our Holiday Pop-up Shop. Today, I'll begin at the event itself and back up to the details of preparation(that post here) at another time. Besides Cheryl and me with our art works, the sellers were a portrait and family photographer, a Younique makeup representative, and a woman who sells Paparazzi jewelry. The group provided a nice variety of offerings, and our guests/customers very much enjoyed the event. Many of them spent a fair amount of time circulating, chatting, and enjoying water or coffee with cheese, crackers, and grapes as well as shopping. 
A guest asking about my painting process

     The photo above shows my area, with a table provided by Cheryl, my own tablecloth and some paintings displayed on a mantel behind me. Oh, and by the way, I did sell a few scarves. More important, I think, is that I met wonderful people. Cheryl had encouraged us before we opened to focus on people and on our interactions with them more than on sales. She was right; we and our guests had a very enjoyable few hours, and sales did flow for each of us. Also, many people who spent time with me took my card and may contact me for paintings or scarves in the future.

Question of the day: Aside from on-line purchasing, what is one in-person holiday shopping experience that you especially enjoyed or gift purchase that felt extra satisfying?

     

8 comments:

  1. Wonderful idea.
    In person gift shopping for me is buying the cheese, chocolate, and a special ornament.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for your visit and comment, Salty. Your favorite gift choices are delightful, especially the special ornament.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I’m a terrible shopper. On-line is my way to go. I send my husband for groceries even though it means odd items come home with him. I have blouses that I’ve worn for 10 years ‘cause I don’t like new styles or too lazy to go try them on. Sigh...

    Congratulations on the sales! I’m not surprised you had sales. Love the scarves and paintings. Oh and it is fun to get a peek of you with your work.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jo, your aversion to shopping made me smile; I can be similar, although I always enjoy art supply stores and other (brief!) shopping at times. At gift time, I do try to give some business to locally owned shops, but that is hard when the gifts are for out of town family, as I like to send things that they can return or exchange if they wish.

    Thank you for the congrats and encouragement. As often happens, I don't like this photo of myself, but did think readers might like a peek at Mary in action :>).

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear Mary ..Thanks for the sweet visit... I love the idea of a Pop-up shop ..Very clever indeed...As we advance in age it seems that shopping becomes quite the same old chore.. but you have presented a fresh new personal touch ...Who doesn't love to met the artists/artisans who create beautiful items/scarves are one my favorites ... also ... I love your bright and happy living room and would love to see some close-ups of your creations in the future. Thanks for so generous sharing and stopping over for tea.Please do come again soon....Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  6. Zaa, I truly appreciate your detailed response to my post. A small thing: this is actually my neighbor's house, not mine. And if you have extra time in the future, you can scroll down to previous posts or use the search box at the top left, typing in "silk scarves" for a variety of close-ups of my hand-painted silk scarves. I will definitely visit your charming blog again!

    ReplyDelete
  7. love to read your interesting activity in neighborhood.
    have a great day

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you for your visit and comment, Tanza. You have a great day, too!

    ReplyDelete