Saturday, September 30, 2017

Open Studio Reception Posts; an Index

One painting that sold at an open studio reception (18" x 24")
     One of my two most popular blog posts describes an Open Studio Reception held in our home some years ago. I decided that an index of posts about our two Open Studio Receptions might be useful for those who are interested in the topic. A side note: the other most popular post over time has been a black bean pinwheel appetizer recipe; I have already made an index of all the recipes posted on this blog.
Food for open house guests
At our 2009 reception, I invited a farmer friend join us;
he offered pre-planted baskets of baby lettuces for sale.

     I was very ambitious and went to a great deal of work for the receptions. If we have another in the future, I will simplify the food (maybe just a few beverages and either a few appetizers or a couple of desserts) and may simplify other aspects of the event. My painting mentor, Linda Blondheim, who holds several very successful in-studio parties a year has hers down to a science. She kindly advised me as I planned my first reception. In my opinion, the basics for an enjoyable and successful event are advance planning, advance publicity (including personal emails, social media, and/or postcards to one's mailing list), and creating a pleasant, relaxed, and yet professional atmosphere.

Index of my blog posts about planning and holding an art open house:

Our first reception:
First invitation
Choosing art objects to show
Anticipation of first reception
Results of first reception

Our second reception: 
Second invitation
Set-up for the event
Food and atmosphere
Post event summary and advice

In-Home Holiday Pop-Up Shop
General description
My Preparation for the Pop-Up Shop

Question of the day: Is an index of blog posts on one topic like this useful to you? A good idea to do?

2 comments:

  1. Thanks, Mary, for your info and sharing ideas. It makes hard work easier!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are most welcome, Jo. And I am grateful for all the advice and tips Linda Blondheim shared with me. Plus some knowledge garnered from a lifetime of other kinds of entertaining. We all build on what we learn from others, don't we? Makes you wonder how the first humans got started :>).

    ReplyDelete