Saturday, March 6, 2010

Growing--Painting Done to Study Tree Structure

Although I don't have much time to post tonight, it has been too long since my last post and tomorrow looks even busier than today. So, I'll show you a study of a slash pine, done in acrylics on an 8" X 10" canvas board without my usual longer description of the painting process. This is nearing completion and is on a stand on my dresser so that I can look at it in varied light conditions over the next few days. It may get some revision in the foliage, but it may be that the wisest thing to do is to declare it completed before I overwork it.
This twisted slash pine, a very common sight in North Florida, stands like a sentinel in our neighborhood. It has been instructive to work on the trunk and limbs as they appear in strong sunlight late in the afternoon. I hope you enjoy seeing this little study.
Question of the day: Where does the time go?

4 comments:

  1. Mary, I love this painting! But then I am a tree hugger... Anyway, your guess is as good as mine on where the heck that elusive time goes. One day I woke up and saw my grandma staring at me in the mirror. Oy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your comment about seeing your grandma gave me a good laugh, Autumn--I love your sense of humor and wonderful perspective on life! I love trees myself and am glad you like this special character from our neighborhood.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like it. And will watch for them after the 16th when we make our first visit ever to Florida. Plan is Fort Myer, watch 2 Twins spring training games & visit Sanibel Island for sure for some birding.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, TB. I hope you have good weather for your visit to Florida (we are finally up to our "average" temps after a colder than normal 3 months or so). That is a nice area; in fact, the Babcock Wilderness Center we visited a few weeks ago (see earlier blog posts) is not far from North Fort Myers. You will enjoy the Twins games for sure, and I hope your birding is rewarding. If you have time, you may want to find out about visiting a less populated island or preserve area in addition to Sanibel where birds might be more numerous.

    ReplyDelete