Monday, September 30, 2019

Westward Ho, Part I. Journey to the Grand Teton National Park

Along the Snake River, Grand Tetons in view
     We recently returned from a wonderful journey west to the Grand Teton National Park and Yellowstone National Park. I have been planning for it for more than a year--especially once I learned (from kind travel bloggers) that lodges and cabins in Yellowstone needed to be reserved a full year ahead in most cases.

     Traveling from flat, hot coastal North Florida to cool, dry mountains was a treat. We love our home, but a change of scenery and climate at the end of the summer was (immensely) refreshing. It is difficult to find words to describe these breath-taking national treasures, as you know if you have visited there. And photos cannot begin to convey the magnificence of the mountains, valleys, meadows, and animals we saw. However, I'll try to share some of what we experienced.

     We landed before noon in Jackson, WY on a chilly, rainy day, tired from getting up at 3 AM (1 AM mountain time!) for our flight. I had booked a room north of busy Jackson, but we first headed into town for lunch and exploration. Extra-large crowds of people clogged the streets, partly because we happened on a major--and delightful--art fair, and partly because it was too nasty a day for most hikers and outdoor explorers, so they came to town. 

     Foggy, but gradually clearing weather cheered us in the morning, and we drove north on US 89 into the Grand Teton National Park. Low clouds hugged some of the highest peaks, while others stood proud in their jagged glory. For our first day, we drove north as far as Moran Junction, then west to the sparkling, bright blue Jackson Lake (I'll post photos of Jackson Lake in Part II), and south again along the lakeside, past Jenny Lake, and on back toward our Jackson room for one more night. We stopped whenever we wanted to at one of the many overlooks and just drank in the crisp, fresh air and awe-inspiring views.

     Finally, we stopped at a trail head to do some hiking. Our Lonely Planet guide included the distance for each trail, and sometimes the elevation change. The trail we chose was fairly challenging, and we found exertion at that altitude exhilarating, but tiring. I loved using my Pacer Poles for walking--very helpful for my back problems--and was able to walk further than I would have without them. The trail wound through meadows, forest, along and over a rocky, bubbling stream, past a park horse and mule corral, and up some steep rises. It was all too lovely for words. The first full day of our adventure was simply amazing. Stay tuned for more.

Question of the Day: What journeys have taken you to a very different place from home?





4 comments:

  1. Beautiful photos! You bring back great memories of our visits in that area. We were in New Mexico as you know, and enjoyed the crisp mountain air as well. We didn’t get to do much hiking, but just being in the sun and fresh air was great. Looking forward to more of your photos and story.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad you got away! Sounds like you had a great vacation. I understand Florida is really hot. I so enjoyed seeing your photos. Thanks for sharing. We always wanted to get to Yellowstone. Got to the GRand Canyon years ago when my MS wasn't so bad. One trip I loved was to Ireland. I went with my Mom to celebrate her 70th birthday. It turned out to be a tour group of all Moms and daghters and we had a wonderful time. We were there for 2 weeks and I just loved it! We did a bus tour all over and saw many places which I will never forget. I wanted to go back with the famiy but never made it. I did a scrapbook of the adventure and so enjoy reminiscing. Looking forward to seeing more photos.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great vacation! Love your photos. The waterfall vis fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! I feel very fortunate to hear from all of you. I've only been away from the blog a few days, and there are 3 wonderful comments.

    Thank you, Jo. Yes, the fresh mountain air was truly refreshing. It was all a delightful (and fairly radical) change of scenery for us.

    I appreciate your thoughts, Nanny. Yes, Florida is hot, but here on the Atlantic Coast in northeast Florida, we enjoy ocean breezes and the tempering influence of the sea and our many rivers. It was still a super change for us, and as in your travels, we saw many places we will never forget. I save mental "snapshots" of natural places I've seen both near and far and call them to mind both to give thanks and for relaxation when I feel stressed in any way. This journey provided a number of memories I can reflect on in the future.

    Super to hear from you, Salty! I appreciate your encouragement.

    ReplyDelete