Saturday, June 30, 2018

Hand-painted Silk Scarf Gifts--Learning to Let Go

A gift a dear friend chose
     I have enjoyed giving some of my hand-painted silk scarves and landscape paintings to family and friends over the years. Giving is a joy to me, and sharing art I have made is a unique pleasure. Of course, it's a thrill to sell paintings or scarves, but right now, I am not marketing my work aggressively. So, even though I work quite slowly, I have a number of creations to share. 
For a precious extended family member
For a creative friend
For a dear relative who wants to frame it

     Since creating hand-painted silk scarves is relatively new to me, I am still experimenting and learning. Many are not planned for the colors and styles I would wear. Instead, they are created to help me grow in using the medium and to try a variety of colors, designs, and techniques. Today's post shows
a few of the scarves that I have given away. There are a number of others, but  it seems I didn't take pictures of all the scarves I made early on so can't show you all that became gifts.
For a fun college friend--a super reconnection

     It can be uncomfortable for people to be given art pieces that may or may not fit their lifestyle or preferences. Thus, I normally ask first or offer a choice of what is available with the understanding that it absolutely will not hurt my feelings if there is nothing in the current "stock" that the friend or family member wants at that point. There will always be more another time.

     Sometimes (especially with scarves), there are a couple that I really like myself. Occasionally, I am torn--truly wanting to offer the chosen item (or it would not have been among those displayed as possible gifts) and yet finding I don't quite want to part with the particular one someone chooses. It's a good lesson in letting go, and the joy of giving certainly overshadows any small reluctance to say good-bye to my creations.

Question of the day: When has giving been an unusually joyful experience for you?






2 comments:

  1. These are so beautiful. You have a way with color and design.
    Very few of my paintings call to stay home. I work fast and maybe I don’t have time to get attached. Ha. Best gifts are unexpected and full of love.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Super to hear from you, Jo, and thank your for your kind encouragement. I do love playing with color and design--not that it always works out--but it's fun no matter what. I appreciate both your sense of humor and your insightfulness when you comment and always look forward to what you might have to say. Many thanks.

    ReplyDelete